Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Manny and music sittining in a tree!

If you know me you know that I LOVE music and not just anything I’m really particular about what I listen to I don’t settle for just anything I really do my homework to find some quality stuff. Some would call me a music snob or a pretentious music snob, which is not far from the truth. I just know what know what I like. So now your wondering what does Manny listen to I have a diverse taste that goes anywhere from Herbie Hancock to the Beastie Boys to the Flaming Lips and so on. But, my top 3
Picks would have to be:




1 .The Talking Heads: The unorthodox post punk art rockers from NYC make the top of my list. At the start of their career, Talking Heads were all nervous energy, detached emotion, and subdued minimalism. When they released their last album about 12 years later, the band had recorded everything from art-funk to polyrhythmic world beat explorations and simple, melodic guitar pop. Between their first album in 1977 and their last in 1988, Talking Heads became one of the most critically acclaimed bands of the '80s, while managing to earn several pop hits. While some of their music can seem too self-consciously experimental, clever, and intellectual for its own good, at their best Talking Heads represent everything good about art-school punks.
Top records:
1. Talking Heads:77 (1977)
2. Speaking in Tongues (1983)
3. Little Creatures (1985)*






2. De la Soul: De la Soul could best is described as “neo- psychedelic” hip hop. They came on the seen in the late 90’s or the “golden age” of hip-hop before tacky bling and phony gangster rap swept the suburbs. Coming from Long Island, NY these guys were miles ahead of others with their low key, clever rhymes and goofy humor made records that to this day sound like no others much like The Talking Heads Del a Soul were/are unorthodox. They did not reach too much top 40 successes in the mainstream hip-hop world. But, they still have a strong a loyal fan base that prefers the witty rhymes over the tacky ones.
Top records:
1. 3 Feet High and Rising(1989)*
2. De la Soul is Dead(1991)
3. Stakes is High(1996)





3. Thelonious Monk: The most important jazz musicians are the ones who are successful in creating their own original world of music with its own rules, logic, and surprises. Thelonious Monk, who was criticized by observers who failed to listen to his music on its own terms, suffered through a decade of neglect before he was suddenly acclaimed as a genius; his music had not changed one bit in the interim. In fact, one of the more remarkable aspects of Monk's music was that it was fully formed by 1947 and he saw no need to alter his playing or compositional style in the slightest during the next 25 years.

Top records:
1. Brilliant Corners (1956)
2. Straight no Casher (1966)
3. Underground (1967)*

These three groups have a few things in common 1. They are all awesome 2.They found success not following the crowd and not just settleing and having eyes of faith to move on to bigger things.3. They are all considered unorthodox their genre of music. I’m like that in away I just don't want to settle for the average way of living just like these three artist did not settle. I want to do unothordox things as well!* Favorite Record

2 comments:

paul bowman said...

I like this statement a lot: "The most important jazz musicians are the ones who are successful in creating their own original world of music with its own rules, logic, and surprises." For me that does help get at why Monk — as also other jazz & non-jazz greats before him — casts such a long shadow.

(My own music collection's fairly limited, but I have more jazz CDs on my shelf than any other kind of music, and more Monk CDs, I'm pretty sure, than any other jazz musician.)

Manny said...

Thanks Paul!