Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I can say that I have a black friend



Tonight, the Democratic Party nominated the first African American to lead a major political party in the United States. Tomorrow, he will formally accept the nomination on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King's I Have a Dream speech. For those of you who think that these events will magically wipe out years of racial ignorance or just flat-out racism, I give you some examples why that isn’t so. I was with some old “friends” earlier this year and the touchy topic of politics came up. One of them said,” I like my president old and white, that’s how it should be.” I guess he forgot I was black or can hear and understand English. It amazes me what people will think is acceptable. I've had people (mainly white) tell me that you speak so articulately which is not the complement you think it is. I don’t know how to speak any other way I’ve had this speech pattern for 30 yrs now.How am I supposed to sound like a character in a Blaxploitation film? I guess I could try to slang it up or use a “blackcent” (black accent) I’d only sound goofy. When I worked at Borders this guy would be embarrassed and upset by the corporate sells lady who is black and spoke with a “blackcent” (according to him) to customers which he thought could hurt sells (I don’t know why he cared we never saw that money) He would voice these complaints to me! What was I supposed to do work a My Fair Lady thing on her? I’m no Professor Henry Higgins (Rex Harrison). When I was younger, people used to come up to me and ask if they could touch my hair because they never felt a black person's hair before! (really?) I've had people tell me that I can't be completely black because I'm smart and I because love stuff like French films and Brian Eno (not together).Even when I was in high school I dressed in colorful and "non black” clothing with skate shoes and shirts. I also listened to a lot of alternative music.I was made fun for those thing druring my time at Hammond High most by black people. Now, when I’m at the mall I see young black kids dressing the same as I did with their skateboards also rappers are crossing genres in a non ironic or patronizing way. (if you can sample a song Can you’re golden).It's weird growing up and even now I'm normally the only other black guy at a show or boring French Film sometimes people give me a look saying," what is he doing here?" when I was younger I thought I had to prove myself that I belonged there or something. The idea of Black people in America is changing for the better with the help of Barack Obama and his lovely wife and countless others that just live not in the mold the media or society but has placed us in for years But, they're living as good honest people regardless of race ,is'nt that America is about? But,we are a strong people we will over come any negativity with our blend of positivity!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff here, Mannifred. The sad thing is that when you are the black friend, all of the sudden you're tagged with speaking for all things "black." Sometimes I just wish that non-Black people understood that we are breathe the same air, walk the same streets, eat the same food, etc. that they do... we just have to prove ourselves and our rights and abilities more often because our skin is (sometimes) darker than theirs. And if you don't believe that, look at Barack and GDub together. Barack gets hazed because he might not wear a flag pin. GDub was "elected" potus after he screwed up an entire country for 4 years, and he still has defenders! Have mercy!

Manny said...

I think most non-whites get all that.And know the "black friend" is not the one voice for all blacks.Now,that I think about it I don’t have to prove myself to anyone I'm getting too old to even care anymore.

Anonymous said...

i agree!!! 100%! and i was even thinking the same thing about how you dressed in high school! u wore cardigans and skate shoes! u have always been more ahead of the fashion game!! it shoudn't be about color, i have people ask me all the time if i am mixed. and white girls at my hair school were intimidated by my hair too! kudos to you for writing such a great blog!

jenni rosenberger