Thursday, January 19, 2012

Top albums of 2011

I really didn't pick up too much music in 2011 but these few albums really stood out for me.

1. Twin Shadow-Forget- He looks like Prince and sounds like early Depeche Mode with touch of The Cure. This album has the same feel of any dark new wave album of the early 80's. It can be a little " dancey" on some tracks and a tad romantic on others. This is one album that is in constant loop.
Top tracks-
Slow
At My Heels
Castles in the Snow

2.Beastie Boys-Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2- I'm a huge fan of the Beastie Boys I was really excited for this release and it did not disappoint. This was one of the few times the Beastie Boys had a few guest artist such as Nas and Santigold. This album had a party feel it reminds me of my favorite Beastie Boys' album Check Your Head but with a heavier hip hop sound. You've most likely seen the Fight for Your Right( revised version) with various celebrities I have to admit I'm not a fan of it but I am a fan of this album.
Top tracks-
Nonstop Disco Powerpack
Say It
Don't Play No Game I Can't Win (Featuring Santigold)
Make Some Noise this was on a single not the album it's pretty amazing it should been on the album.
3. Jay-Z and Kayne West- Watch The Throne
Say what you will about Mr. West he is an amazing showman and rapper with his antics aside.Jay-Z has always been in a class of his own.This album also introduced me to R&B singer Frank Ocean which I was surprised to like. The mixture of these two rap heavywieghts gives us a rap collaboration that will be hard to match for years.
Top tracks-
Otis
No Church in the Wild
Made in America

4.Wild Flag-Wild Flag
It seems real easy to call a group of this magnitude a supergroup but honestly it's not because supergroups are long gone it seems more like a missing Slits album. With Carrie Brownstein, Janet Weis and Mary Timony, of Sleater-Kinney along with of Quasi and Sleater-Kinney plus Rebecca Cole of the Minders. These"indie" ( I hate that word) queens put together an album that gives the boys a run for the hills.Oh, watch Portlandia on IFC it stars a very funny Carrie Brownstein and SNL member Fred Armisen.
Top tracks-
Romance
Endless Talk
Future Crimes

5. T.V.on the Radio- Nine Types of Light
TVOR had a rough 2011 after the death of their basist Gerard Smith's death from a battle with lung cancer. They still were able to pu out their fourth album. This album is an expansion for this Brooklyn based band which I like it shows the band will continue to grow.The album still had the classic sound you would expect.The album is funky,mellow, and yes dancey. I would like to think this album best reflects how far the band has come. It's bittersweet but strong album.There is a documentary on the band and the making of the album called Nine Types of Light give it watch if your unfamiliar with the band you can find it on the Youtube.
Top Tracks-
Will Do
New Cannonball Blues
Second Song

Honorable Mentions
Adele-21
Radiohead- King of Limbs
R.E.M- Collapse Into Now
Wye Oak- Civillian
Twerps- Twerps
That's pretty much it. As I said before I didn't pick up too much. I'm hoping 2012 will be a bigger music year for me. What stood out for you in 2011 or what are looking forward to?

No comments: